Hi how do I look? You must be wondering about my appearance right! People call my flower as explosion of flame and they also exaggerate my appearance stating that I’m beautiful with the appearance of a brilliant pink rosebud. Finally let me introduce myself, I am PITAYA popularly known with the title “the dragon fruit”- its unique right!
Now you must be staring at me with your epoxy eyes and wondering about my origin and existence. Me being indigenous to Central America is awesome and I am also exported to many South Asian Countries. I am usually obtained from cactus species, the succulent stem of that species makes me a uniquely delicious fruit and I belong to the scenario of moist & arid climates.
Like you people, I am also differentiated based on colours. The colours in which I am found are red or yellow skin and white or red flesh. When I am yellow I just look like a sibling of pineapple. I have abundance of small, black, edible seeds in me, this gives me a beautiful crunchy texture. My taste is usually comprises the blend of kiwi and pear along with mild sweet.
Then comes the major part, the way people enjoy me. I am greatly served and encouraged as salads as my gesture is awesome. And sometimes as juices.
You heard about my description right. I too have many distinguishing characters and let me list it and you jot it down as you may use me in times of need.
My characters are:
- Have a number of phytonutrients.
- Rich in antioxidants.
- Have calcium, which is for strong bones and teeth, iron and phosphorus for healthy blood and tissue formation.
- I strengthen the immune system and faster healing of bruises and wounds to fewer respiratory problems.
- Have zero complex carbohydrate, hence can be easily broken down.
- My oil acts as mild laxative.
- Lower the risk of cardiovascular disorders.
- Eating me can help you maintain body and improve your eye sight.
- I provide lycopene flavonoid that is found helpful in bringing down cancer risk.
- Don’t love me too much as I am harmful to your health in when consumed in excess amounts.
“Though I am good don’t get tempted!”
Dragon Fruit: LADY OF THE NIGHT
The story of my birth:
The reason for my preciousness is that I live only one night! Isn’t it obvious. First, a climbing cactus produces a beautiful pink or yellow flower. This flower is called as the “moonflower” or “Queen of the night,”. The flower blooms from evening to midnight, only to wither in strong sunlight. During the night, the pungent flowers are pollinated by moths and bats. Although the flower dies, the cactus bears me about six times every year. And that’s the story of how I exist.
Now it’s your turn to taste “ME”
After knowing my exotic characters and tremendous features I might become your favourite
Try me and enjoy me!